When it comes to selecting floors for your home, there’s more to think about than the type and style. For example, you may know you want solid hardwood floors or a color that complements your cabinets, and while that may narrow down your choices, it still doesn’t tell you which wood species is the best fit for your family’s lifestyle.
One type of wood species you might want to consider is white oak hardwood flooring; it’s definitely one of the most popular species we’ve seen recently. The most common species of wood floors, oak hardwood flooring is known for its natural beauty and durability. A lot of homeowners are choosing these types floors for several reasons, including its price point, durability and color. As you can see from the image below, it provides a beautiful foundation inside the home.
5 Benefits to White Oak Hardwood Floors
Here are 5 benefits specific to white oak that you’ll want to note:
- The grain. White oak flooring’s growth rings are spaced more closely together than other oak hardwood flooring, which means your white oak floors will have a smoother, more uniform texture.
- The durability. White oak hardwood flooring is more durable than other species of oak too, rating 1360 on the Janka scale (70 points above red oak). This increased durability makes it a great fit for busy areas of the home (such as the entry way) or families with pets or young children.
- The price. White oak flooring is a more cost effective option than many other types of species.
- The resistance. White oak hardwood flooring is more water resistant than other types of species, making it a good option for kitchens in addition to entryways, dining rooms and bedrooms. Just remember to take a few preventative steps to keep your new floors in pristine condition!
- The color. White oak hardwood flooring’s bright, creamy color palette can make a room feel uplifting, light and serene. It’s also available in other shades, such as gray, providing the homeowner with a wide variety of options to choose from.
White Oak Floors in Shades of Gray
Gray is everywhere in 2016; depending on the shade you choose, it can be very warm and inviting. Plus, many homeowners like that they can easily change up their home with bright, vibrant colors to complement the gray.
We’ve seen this trend at San Jose Hardwood Floors. Homeowners are branching out from the traditional bright, creamy white oak palette and opting for white oak floors in gray tones. This gives them the option to change up their area rugs, end tables and other decorative pieces for a whole new look throughout the year, without the cost of redoing their floors.
Additional White Oak Hardwood Flooring Trends
A lot of homeowners are also choosing to incorporate a couple of other trends with their new white oak floors: engineered flooring and wide planks.
- Engineered floors are popular because they work well in high traffic areas and hold up to moisture better than solid wood.
- Homeowners continue to opt for wide planks because of their ability to impact the overall feel of the space, making it feel larger, rustic and contemporary simultaneously.
If you want to find out more about white oak flooring and if it’s a good fit for your home, come visit our showroom! Our experts can help you pick the perfect floors for your family’s lifestyle and budget. Also, don’t forget to contact us for a free in-home quote today!